The following details on all baseball bats approved by Babe Ruth League, Inc. for local league and tournament play. Such descriptions are included as part of
the Babe Ruth League Rules and Regulations.
CAL RIPKEN BASEBALL DIVISION:
The bat may not exceed 33" in length, and the bat barrel may not exceed 2-1/4" in diameter. Only 2-1/4" barrel non-wood bats marked BPF 1.15 will be allowed.
Wood 2-1/4" barrel bats are allowed.
The use of bats in excess of the above specifications for the 12-Year-olds Major70 program are not allowed (no waiver will be approved for such use). In tournaments, discovery of the use of such bats will
cause the expulsion of the batter and the team manager, no warnings. (See the SOUTHEAST REGION POLICY, below.)
13-15 BASEBALL DIVISION:
The bat may not exceed 34" in length, and the bat barrel may not exceed 2-5/8" in diameter. All aluminum/alloy barrel bats and all composite handle (only)
aluminum/alloy barrels are allowed. Only composite barrel bats certified and marked BBCOR .50 will be allowed. Wood barrel bats conforming to the
specifications of Official Baseball Rule 1.10 are allowed.
16-18 BASEBALL DIVISION:
The bat may not exceed 34" in length and the bat barrel many not exceed 2-5/8" in diameter or be greater than a -3 length to weight ratio. Only metal/composite
bats certified and marked BBCOR .50 are allowed. Wood barrel bats conforming to the specifications of Official Baseball Rule 1.10 are allowed.
PENALTY (SEE SOUTHEAST REGION POLICY BELOW WHICH AUGMENTS THIS PENALTY):
- If the illegal bat is discovered prior to a batter completing his "at bat", the bat is simply removed from play and the "at bat" continues.
- A player who uses an illegal bat or non-conforming barrel dimension and hits a fair ball will be ruled out. No advancement on the bases will be allowed, and any
outs during the play shall stand. This is an appeal play. The "at bat" will be considered legal once a pitch is thrown to the next batter.
- Any bat discovered prior to the game that does not conform to the above rule shall be directed to be removed immediately and not be allowed for use during the game.*
*SOUTHEAST REGION POLICY:
- For team participation in a Southeast Regional Tournament, all managers and coaches acknowledge that, in addition to the Penalty above, if at any time an illegal bat is discovered being used
by a player, the player and his team's manager will be ejected from the game.
- All Divisions-If any bat in Cal Ripken or Babe Ruth League cannot be clearly identified for its make and model to determine the barrel composition, then the bat MUST be
removed from the game. [Note: There will not be an ejection penalty for the player and his team's manager if staff cannot identify the specifications.]
NFHS Approved 13-18 year-olds composite bats